"Nakaochi Scrape" is the backmeat that shaved off of fish bones and then placed into sushi such as ground yellowfin tuna. Two Wisconsin women became severely sick after eating sushi rolls that contained Nakaochi Scrape. The restaurant had received the yellowfin tuna from India and the label stated that the sushi was packaged as safely. However, the prosecution claims that the restaurants may have been ignorant of the fact that they are and were selling contaminated products. It is quite possible that distributors may have removed the packaging label before delivering it to the restaurant.
Salmonella usually just leads to fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps within three days and goes away within a week. However, the two women had infections far worse, one even required hospitalization. She was diagnosed with an ulcerated colon, which the prosecution blames on the Nakaochi Scrape that she ate.
Personal injury cases of this kind usually fall under product liability laws and, thus, anyone in the distribution chain can be held liable. Scientific evidence has already proved that the plaintiffs were made sick by a rare type of bacteria called Salmonella Bareilly.